Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Thoughts from Class Yesterday

Just wanted to thank Annan for his very informative discussion related to the Sarangapani article in class yesterday. While I very much enjoyed reading the article and the ethnography. It wasn’t until Annan gave us more first-hand context and framing to the situation of the students and student’s agency did I think I better understood the article. Furthermore, his explanation of the political and social culture surrounding the cast system seemed essential in better grasping the full “picture” of what was truly going on in these rural schools. Why the ethnography chose not to explore these issues is unknown but I really appreciated Annan giving us a mini lesson in some major cultural aspects of Indian culture. This discussion also helped me structure the information better and make much more sense of what I has been reading. Since we discussed frame and getting into the heads of our subjects yesterday I thought this discussion and subsequent outcome was worth mentioning. It really makes a difference what an ethnographer chooses and does not choose to disclose in their work. When you finally do get more information or another perspective from someone who has also been there it really makes things get interesting. Who do you believe? Is it wrong not to disclose specifics of politics or culture that influence one’s work? I am sure these are all issues we will touch on in the subsequent weeks of class. I am looking forward to it.

No comments: