Tuesday, January 22, 2008

re: Thoughts on today's readings

The readings for class today made me think about my past reactions to ethnographies about inner city families/school systems - in particular, I was thinking about some of Jonathan Kozol's work (Rachel and her Children, Savage Inequalities)...I remember reading his books in college and while teaching in an inner city neighborhood, and becoming annoyed, even a bit angry at his tone, and not knowing why. Although I need to reread these books (it's been a long time...), I wonder if I was reacting to his moral/righteous positioning of himself and of the people he wrote about...are these true ethnographies? Again, I need to relook at these books - but I'd like to do so now through the lens of our class readings/discussions about ethnography; perhaps I'll better understand my initial reaction or have a different - better informed - reaction. - Sasha

No comments: